The objectives of the STEM Resource Center are to:
- Assist students in developing the skills and positive attitudes required to acclimate to college life and succeed academically. In a student-centered setting, undergraduate students learn about academic and career professionalism.
- Aid students in developing skills to maximize performance in math, engineering and science classes and realize their full academic potential through offering and receiving peer tutoring.
- Connect undergraduates with faculty members and graduate students; accommodate programs facilitating research experiences for undergraduates (REU).
- Provide research-related networking and internship opportunities in addition to advising students about graduate school preparation and internship programs.
- Mentor students in encountering the diversity and multidisciplinary nature of STEM fields; help students make personal and professional choices and pursue long-term goals.
- Support engineering and science association chapters on the UC Merced campus; provide undergraduate students with opportunities for participation and leadership in science, technology and engineering community outreach.
- Leverage the UC Merced investment by pursuing external funding, where appropriate, through Center proposals and through collaboration on large-scale institutional proposals