Sponsored by the National Science Foundation S-STEM Scholarship Program
We are currently accepting applications for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The application deadline is: Monday, August 14, 2017.
The goal is to implement a supportive and enriching program for students who meet selection criteria at the freshmen and sophomore year to increase student retention and graduation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields.
Why the MAPS Program?
In addition to financial assistance, the UC Merced MAPS program provides a focused integrative experience for students by emphasizing career and personal counseling, tutoring, mentoring, career development, opportunities for summer research or application-oriented experiences, and student collaboration, as well as other academic and personal advantages gained by being fully engaged in the University community.
Program Benefits and Services
- Financial scholarship - $5,000 per year for up to two years.
- Mentoring - guidance and contact with faculty and graduate students in STEM disciplines.
- Academic Success Course - faculty from the School of Natural Sciences will help students acquire critical thinking skills for math and science majors.
- Internships - internships and workshops to provide students withs practical work experience.
- Tutoring and Academic Workshops - academic assistance in math, chemistry, physics, and/or calculus.
- Seminars - participation in monthly scientific related seminars to learn more about recent research and opportunities in STEM.
- Fieldtrips - to visit research facilities and/or private industries twice a year to learn about job opportunities and prospects available to indidivuals with a competitive STEM background.
How to Apply
The application for MAPS Scholars will be based on the following:
- Financial aid eligibility as determined by the UC Merced Financial Aid Office and by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA.
- United States citizenship or permanent residence status.
- Contact infromation of two references able to attest to your academic merit and potential for success.
- UC Merced or high school academic transcript.
- A short essay to explain why you want to participate in this program and identify barriers and challenges you overcame to attend UC Merced.
Where can I find the application?
The link to the application is: https://ucmerced.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bjfuCbGFBpeI7CB
A Microsoft Word version of the application can be found - Hardcopy MAPS Scholarship Program Application
Where do I submit the application?
Submit your application through the link directly or if you require a physical form you can email or drop off the physical form, transcripts, personal statement, and reference contact information to Dr. Petia Guerorguieva at firstname.lastname@example.org or Academic Office Annex (AOA) 130.
Contact Dr. Petia Guerorguieva
STEM Resource Center Coordinator
Academic Office Annex (AOA) 130